Boston man 8th confirmed case of coronavirus in US


A student at the University of Massachusetts Boston who had traveled to China has the coronavirus — the eighth confirmed case in the US.

The man, in his 20s, had been in Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak, and sought medical care after he returned to his home in Boston, the state Department of Public Health said in a statement.

The case poses no increased risk to other students on the university’s campus, Dr. Jennifer Lo, medical director of the Boston Public Health Commission, told CNN.

The student is doing “quite well,” Lo said, and is quarantined at his home, which is not a dorm. He is being monitored by public health nurses.

The federal Centers for Disease Control confirmed the case late Friday, the agency said.

“We won’t release him from isolation until we are satisfied it’s safe to do so,” said Dr. Larry Madoff, medical director of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health’s Bureau of Infectious Disease and Laboratory Sciences.

“He returned to Boston directly from China through Logan Airport. He returned on the 28th of January, recognized quickly that he was ill and sought medical attention. He had only been ill for a brief period of time when he arrived,” Madoff said.

The CDC has also confirmed cases in California, Washington, Arizona and Illinois and is testing a person who is being treated at Bellevue Hospital.

So far, the CDC has ruled 114 potential cases negative and has at least 120 pending.

In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s office said Saturday that eight of 11 potential cases statewide were ruled negative. Three other tests are still pending.

One person who was tested at Elmhurst General Hospital in Queens turned out to have the flu.

Worldwide, more than 13,000 cases have been confirmed in 24 countries. The vast majority of the confirmed cases are in China, where over 300 people have died from the virus. Scientists in Hong Kong published research Saturday that found as many as 75,815 people in Wuhan, a city of 11 million, likely have the virus.

The State Department has told Americans not to travel to China.

The Boston man, who is in isolation, had close contact with a few people, who were identified and are being monitored for symptoms, according to the Massachusetts health department.

“People should take the same precautions they do to prevent the spread of the cold and flu,” Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker tweeted Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *